Wednesday, June 20, 2007

20 Jun 07: process

Texts: I'm done with Wilde's essay for now. Because of its conversational tone it lacks vivid language, which makes for poems that sound the same. I have been finding all my texts on Project Gutenberg. I format them in Word to a large enough size to be handled and then I print them off. This, of course, limits the texts I can use to early 20th Century and prior. Also, unlike other collage work, I have control over font and font size. I don't know how I feel about that. Still looking for a good text...

Cutting: I set the fonts to 1 1/2 spacing so that I can cut them clean but this often gives me a lot of space above or below the words. Also, I rarely cut straight lines. Both of these things affect the expression of the word or phrase--though I'm still trying to feel what that is.

Pasting: I have not yet found a way to paste that makes me happy. I use rubber cement or a glue stick. The cement is often globby in a way that I can't control well. I would like to find a process where I can keep a composition without permanently mounting it so that I can make future revisions and combine poems together.

Board: This summer I've been pasting the poems onto small cardstock squares used for scrapbooking. I thought the small size would give some kind of structure to the poems but I find it too restrictive. I am interested in seeing how long I can sustain a poem.

Photos: I've found the only way to get the color right and get the image bright is to take pictures of them outside on a sunny day. Even then I have to take several to make sure one is clear enough. I do some tweaking in a photo editor before I post them. I see so much more detail when they are photos.

No comments: